ActiveRecord is Released!
Posted at 8:23 | 01 Jun. 2022
DHH was pretty excited about the 200 downloads activerecord got in its first week 18 years ago this week. In this long-forgotten corner of the internet we get a young DHH's reaction to the unveiling of this new gem that would unwittingly underpin billions of GDP's worth of ORMs.
This week seventeen years ago Daniel Berger dropped a link to some off-the-wall ruby scripts. And what's more, these were lost to the archives and not available on rubygems or github! So I'll share one with you (why not) - a ruby script that will convert your ASCII text to a midi morse file. The future is now.
Ruby's birthplace is Japan, and I don't think we give enough love to historical Japanese content. This week we share a rails plugin from seventeen years ago, ActiveHeart! This gem sought to take english-default validation methods and translate them to Japanese (along with some other Japanese-friendly features)
This week in 2005, Ruby legend Koichi Sasada published this daily RubyManiac Quiz. Can you guess what it returns?
- I'd Want to Work on Ruby When I Grow O-o-old | April 2022
- When RubyKaigi tickets sold out in 60 minutes | April 2022
- ActiveRecord is Released! | April 2022
- Ruby tools roundup | October 2021
- The second oldest Rails podcast? | October 2021
- Running every version of Ruby ever released with All-Ruby | September 2021
- Ruby Multithreading | September 2021
- Indexing database columns in 2009 | September 2021
- Matz talks mRuby at Barcelona Ruby Conf 2014 | September 2020
- Github: Scaling on Ruby with a nomadic tech team | July 2020
- 22 Ruby and Rails Jobs for August 2011 (With Even Some Junior Ones) | July 2020
- The schedule for Madison Ruby 2011 | July 2020
- What to expect in Ruby 1.9 (2008) | July 2020
- Matz speaks at OSCON | July 2020
- How to profile your Rails application in 2007 | July 2020
- RubyFringe: the three-day, $650 Ruby party of 2008 | July 2020
- A Starry Afternoon, a Sinking Symphony, and the Polo Champ Who Gave It All Up for No Reason Whatsoever | July 2020
- Using AWS with Ruby in 2007 | June 2020
- RubyConf 2005 Agenda Release | June 2020
- _why interviews DHH [PastRubies #9] | December 2019
- The Ruby on Rails Whitepaper - Past Rubies #7 | December 2019
- Speeding Up Rails with Aaron Patterson - Past Rubies #6 | July 2019
- Building a Ruby Gem with Steve Klabnik - Past Rubies #5 | July 2019
- Rails 1.0 turns 14! PastRubies #8 | December 2019