Speeding Up Rails with Aaron Patterson - Past Rubies #6
Posted at 11:20 | 24 Jul. 2019
We lead this week with a great 2014 talk from Tenderlove on work being undertaken at the time to speed up Rails and a look at what we can do to improve our app benchmarking. Timeless!
Unceremoniously, _why unveiled his landmark library Shoes to the world twelve years ago this week! I don't know about you, but some of the most fun I had in my early days was building GUI native apps for my Mac in Shoes. Maybe it's time to go back....
code release guide
Hey, who says you have to be a Java pro to play with Arduino? Since at least 2008 we've had these fantastic projects using Ruby to operate hardware, as seen in this video of the Ruby on Bells project. To see the code and the walkthrough, check out the explainer here.
We may be used to throwing up tabbed navigation with Bootstrap or any other major libraries today, check out a Ruby approach to tabbed navigation from thirteen years ago this week.
Wrapping up this week with another "one year ago" more recent segment, we are honored to share Ilya Bylich's fantastic post going over their favorite ruby bits. This is definitely an article that you want your IRB open for. See you next week!
code article ruby
- Rails 3 Release Candidate Announced! | July 2022
- I'd Want to Work on Ruby When I Grow O-o-old | April 2022
- When RubyKaigi tickets sold out in 60 minutes | April 2022
- ActiveRecord is Released! | April 2022
- Ruby tools roundup | October 2021
- The second oldest Rails podcast? | October 2021
- Running every version of Ruby ever released with All-Ruby | September 2021
- Ruby Multithreading | September 2021
- Indexing database columns in 2009 | September 2021
- Matz talks mRuby at Barcelona Ruby Conf 2014 | September 2020
- Github: Scaling on Ruby with a nomadic tech team | July 2020
- 22 Ruby and Rails Jobs for August 2011 (With Even Some Junior Ones) | July 2020
- The schedule for Madison Ruby 2011 | July 2020
- What to expect in Ruby 1.9 (2008) | July 2020
- Matz speaks at OSCON | July 2020
- How to profile your Rails application in 2007 | July 2020
- RubyFringe: the three-day, $650 Ruby party of 2008 | July 2020
- A Starry Afternoon, a Sinking Symphony, and the Polo Champ Who Gave It All Up for No Reason Whatsoever | July 2020
- Using AWS with Ruby in 2007 | June 2020
- RubyConf 2005 Agenda Release | June 2020
- _why interviews DHH [PastRubies #9] | December 2019
- The Ruby on Rails Whitepaper - Past Rubies #7 | December 2019
- Speeding Up Rails with Aaron Patterson - Past Rubies #6 | July 2019
- Building a Ruby Gem with Steve Klabnik - Past Rubies #5 | July 2019
- Rails 1.0 turns 14! PastRubies #8 | December 2019