Building a Ruby Gem with Steve Klabnik - Past Rubies #5
Posted at 14:29 | 17 Jul. 2019
Half-a-decade-ago this week famous Rubyist Steve Klabnik put together a fantastic guide for building a Rubygem. If you've built many gems or never ventured into this territory before, it really is a fantastic read.
Paul Adams, then columnist for webmonkey (if you remember that!), walks us through setting up a Ruby on Rails application this week in 2005. Once in a while we give you a really good peek into the past, this article does not disappoint!
I'm sure you've heard about the benefits of using Rails engines to extend your Rails superpowers and also how well they mesh with Rails gem development. Enjoy this fantastic guide that came out this week in 2006 on just how to get it done.
Remember when we shared that 'Ruby Shootout' article about a month ago? Well, here was a July 2010 version, showing how the various Rubies on different hardware compared agains each other. Neat!
Ah, RedCloth, the Ruby gem for converting good ol' Textile into HTML. This is a gem we've gotten to see used a lot parsing through our resources for PastRubies. Well, eleven years ago this week it got its last major release (though there have been further releases since)
- Rails 3 Release Candidate Announced! | July 2022
- I'd Want to Work on Ruby When I Grow O-o-old | April 2022
- When RubyKaigi tickets sold out in 60 minutes | April 2022
- ActiveRecord is Released! | April 2022
- Ruby tools roundup | October 2021
- The second oldest Rails podcast? | October 2021
- Running every version of Ruby ever released with All-Ruby | September 2021
- Ruby Multithreading | September 2021
- Indexing database columns in 2009 | September 2021
- Matz talks mRuby at Barcelona Ruby Conf 2014 | September 2020
- Github: Scaling on Ruby with a nomadic tech team | July 2020
- 22 Ruby and Rails Jobs for August 2011 (With Even Some Junior Ones) | July 2020
- The schedule for Madison Ruby 2011 | July 2020
- What to expect in Ruby 1.9 (2008) | July 2020
- Matz speaks at OSCON | July 2020
- How to profile your Rails application in 2007 | July 2020
- RubyFringe: the three-day, $650 Ruby party of 2008 | July 2020
- A Starry Afternoon, a Sinking Symphony, and the Polo Champ Who Gave It All Up for No Reason Whatsoever | July 2020
- Using AWS with Ruby in 2007 | June 2020
- RubyConf 2005 Agenda Release | June 2020
- _why interviews DHH [PastRubies #9] | December 2019
- The Ruby on Rails Whitepaper - Past Rubies #7 | December 2019
- Speeding Up Rails with Aaron Patterson - Past Rubies #6 | July 2019
- Building a Ruby Gem with Steve Klabnik - Past Rubies #5 | July 2019
- Rails 1.0 turns 14! PastRubies #8 | December 2019